Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:44 AM
May 21, 2012
For Immediate Release
Greater Piedmont Area Association of REALTORS® Gives Back to Local Communities
Members of the Greater Piedmont Area Association of REALTORS® (GPAAR) are making significant contributions in communities throughout Fauquier, Culpeper, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock counties.
“GPAAR’s members are dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of the neighbors we serve in our real estate businesses,” said Karen Ingram, 2012 GPAAR president and REALTOR® with Long & Foster in Warrenton.
Recently GPAAR’s members held their annual golf tournament at Evergreen Country Club in Haymarket to raise funds for scholarships for deserving local high school students and for local charities. Golfers and volunteers braved the cold and the rain to contribute to worthwhile causes.
As a result of the funds raised through the golf tournament, 16 scholarships of $625 each were awarded to two hard-working students at eight local and regional high schools for their college education. Each high school screened and selected the students who received the GPAAR scholarships. Thanks to GPAAR—students from Fauquier High School, Kettle Run High School, Liberty High School, Rappahannock County High School, Eastern View High School, Culpeper High School, Madison County High School, and Orange County High School received assistance for college.Those who received the scholarships were delighted and very appreciative.
In addition, GPAAR donatedfunds from the golf tournament to the Archie O. Edwards Cancer Assistance Fund to help those currently battling cancer. Archie Edwards was a REALTOR® member who assisted with the GPAAR Golf Tournament for many years. Archie succumbed to cancer in 2011. The 2012 GPAAR Golf Tournament was held in his honor.
“Community contributions are not just a springtime endeavor for GPAAR’s members,” shared Debbie Werling, chief executive officer of GPAAR. “Many substantial GPAAR contributions are made throughout the Greater Piedmont Region and beyond year round,” she continued. These include:
· Providing monthly meals to the Fauquier Free Clinic and Culpeper Free Clinic
· Visiting all nursing home in GPARR’s five-county region of service to sing and deliver Christmas gifts to every resident
· Collecting and shipping 160 blankets to ill and wounded U.S. soldiers in Germany—each with a handwritten note—as part of the Blankets of Hope Campaign
· Donating more than $500 to every animal shelter and humane society in GPAAR’s five-county service region
· Providing more than $2,000 to four free clinics in GPAAR’s service territory
· Contributing more than $1,500 to local high schools, boys and girls clubs, and county fair activities
“GPAAR’s REALTOR® members are very proud to serve the residents of Fauquier, Culpeper, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock counties and to give back to our communities,” said Karen Ingram. “We look forward to continuing GPAAR’s contributions,” she added.
For additional information please contact:
Chief Executive Officer
Greater Piedmont Area Association of REALTORS®