Fauquier County Habitat for Humanity is seeking a Director of Construction to join a dynamic and expanding team.
Fauquier Habitat for Humanity is dedicated to providing affordable home ownership opportunities for families and individuals in Fauquier and Rappahannock Counties. Since 1991, we have partnered with more than one hundred individuals, who now have a safe, decent, and affordable place to call ‘home’.
The Director of Construction ensures that Fauquier Habitat for Humanity construction projects, including new residential construction, residential rehabs and residential repairs throughout Fauquier and Rappahannock Counties help our partners experience the mission of Habitat for Humanity through:
New Residential Construction & Critical Home Repair Project Management
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, completing each on time and on budget
- Work with engineers, soils scientists, contractors and permitting authorities to define a clear scope for each project; or define the next course of action revealed by performed evaluations
- Work with the architect and engineer(s) to design homes for unique site conditions
- Develop a new construction project budget and timeline for each approved project
- Complete detailed home repair inspections and assessments to assist in demonstration of need during the qualifying process for our Critical Home Repair and Rock the Block Programs
- Solicit in-kind donations of materials or order materials and bid out subcontractor work within the budgetary guidelines
- Review subcontractor proposals and contracts related to new construction
- Oversee subcontractor work for new construction, ensuring contracts are met within our timeline
- Complete non-subcontractor work with skilled and unskilled volunteers within our timeline
- Pull necessary permits, request variances as needed and order an appraisal once the home is done
- Lead a pre-construction meetings and final walkthroughs with leadership team, key volunteers, and relevant FHFH partners
- Oversee necessary warranty work related to construction completed by Habitat staff or volunteers
- Keep documentation of the construction process and costs for each home and submit coded receipts and invoices weekly for processing and payment
Volunteer Recruitment & Management – New Construction or Repairs
- Meet with the volunteer services team at least once per week and maintain open communication regarding the construction schedule, upcoming tasks and number or crew leader & general volunteers that are needed so the volunteer services team can successfully recruit and schedule volunteer groups
- Provide site supervision to groups of 5-12 skilled and unskilled volunteers for new construction tasks or repair project tasks.
- Prep the build site for volunteer days and meet with crew leaders prior to general volunteer arrival
- Begin each volunteer workday on time with kiosk check-in right at 8:30am followed by a morning meeting discussing the Habitat mission, an overview of the project/family, an overview of the task for the day, a safety talk and a prayer; ensure a consistent experience & message for all volunteers
- Maintain a climate and culture on the build site which attracts, keeps and motivates volunteers
- Guide and assist volunteers in their work, understanding that each is an individual with different abilities
- Assist in identifying volunteers who may be interested in leadership or crew leader roles and provide those leads to the volunteer services team
- Oversee the training program for new crew leaders and other regular volunteers
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: strong moral & ethical compass, communicates often and openly, possesses organizational agility, demonstrates business acumen with attention to detail, customer focus, a quick and sound decision maker, results driven, skilled at priority setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent work experience.
- Class A Contractors License Preferred
- 5+ years of progressively responsible leadership in the homebuilding industry including field supervisory experience.
- Experience developing single and multi-family housing including new construction and rehabilitation.
- Proven success in managing multiple projects, finishing them on time and on budget.
- A strong leader with the ability to develop staff and volunteers through personal example and through the implementation of formal training programs and informal, consistent coaching.
- Must have experience with department budgets, managing construction costs, and a commitment to excellent stewardship of funds.
- Experience working with diverse constituencies - including future Habitat homeowners, major donors, faith-based volunteers, municipal staff, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Must be able to efficiently work with Microsoft Office, possess skills using other database software, and demonstrate the ability to learn new programs.
- Excellent communication skills with a strong passion for the organization’s mission.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team with great energy and persistence.
- Proven organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and produce high quality results quickly and on time.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Habitat for Humanity experience preferred.
- This position requires the physical ability to sit, walk, climb, and/or stand for prolonged periods of time. This individual must also have the use of all senses, to include, but not limited to sight and hearing while possessing the ability to stand, stoop, bend, grasp, and/or hold to complete work on an active construction site.
- Work will include non-temperature-controlled conditions, often outdoors, in all seasons.
- This position requires persons who can safely lift at least 50lbs on a regular and frequent basis.
- The position requires the ability to climb ladders and work at heights.
- This position requires the ability to work with large, diverse groups of people.
- Must pass comprehensive background, motor vehicle, and credit check.
- This position is classified as full-time regular, exempt.
- This position scheduled Tuesday – Saturday to align with volunteer scheduling needs. Extra hours, in peak times, will be expected as the schedule necessitates. Schedule swap to Monday through Friday when not working on Saturdays.
- This position is eligible for benefits including health, dental, life, and disability insurance. Personal Time Off, Vacation, and standard Holidays. Compensation is competitive and based on experience within the industry.
POSITION TITLE: Director of Construction
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director of Operations & Planning
Interested & qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of September 11th, 2020. Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted no later than ten days after the close of the application period.
Fauquier Habitat for Humanity is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity (EEO) and will provide such opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual preference, national origin, age, religion, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Construction Management: 5 years (Required)
- Class A Contractor (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible